Thursday, November 1, 2007

[Hong Kong] My last day...:(

I will soon be saying 'farewell' to Hong Kong and 'hello' to mainland China!!

I have my VISA all sorted and the train is booked. I am pretty damn excited about the journey tomorrow... Watching China roll past the window for 23hrs will be an experience in itself... and then when I get off in Shanghai - who can tell what madness will ensue!

The last few days have been great. Last night I met some German friends I've made and we watched the famous 'symphony of lights' from Kowloon promenade... all the Skyscapers across the harbour shoot lazers, searchlights and coloured screen displays into the night sky to some really really really cheesey music. Imagine kraftwerk for kids! It was a great atmosphere... lots of Hong Kong people dressed up for halloween and it's so safe here that everyone is out an about until late in the streets shopping, eating and generally hanging out.

We went to one of those massive arcades which are simply full of flashing lights and a headache inducing dim of games effects noises. No sleep there!

I have been to the south of the island - Aberdeen harbour - where an old lady took me for a boat tour round the old fishing boats. There is also a whole restaurant floating on the water here as well.

The crazy thing about HK is that it is developing so fast that you come across historical pieces of the past such as old fishing boat community but there is always the sound of a pneumatic drill coming from somewhere, and high rise blocks of flats in the background.

It's certainly been an excellent few days - and I have seen as much as I could have.

More news to come - from mainland China, Shanghai.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yo kid, interesting reading. Glad to hear Hong Kong went smoothly (if crazily).

On the home front, turns out Henley is a complete twat. Oh well.