Tuesday, October 30, 2007

[Hong Kong] Day of rest

Well I am having a well deserved and needed day of rest today - all I need to do is go and pick up my VISA. Fingers crossed that it is all sorted and OK.

I have been doing lots of crazy things and wandering around the city like a madman. The streets are never quiet and the ferries are so cheap that I have had time to go across to Lantau island for a hike up the 2nd highest Peak in Hong Kong and to visit the Buddhist monastery where there is a giant 200ton Bronze buddha on the top of a mountain.

I have been eating lots of different types of food - you seem to be able to get anything here, from Cantonese 'Dim Sum' (a special breakfast made up of lots of different dishes which vary in size and ingredients) to Mongolian buffet, Nepalese curries and simple noodle dishes for about 5pounds a meal (with tea!)

I don't have enough time now to tell you all the things I've been getting up to but I certainly haven't been idle.

I have spent 2 hours in a random tea shop drinking tea with the English speaking owner and discussing the best way to make it etc etc. I have been to the HK history museum where they have exhibits if Chinese tradional festivals and show you the history of HK from as far back as 400000000 years ago!

I have been riding ferries to and from Kowloon, visiting the Walled garden with its pagodas and fountains and getting lost in the seemingly endless metropolis of street markets and shopping malls.

I have seconds left on the internet so bye bye for now....!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

andy! sounds great! keep us informed..lots of love x
dave

Anonymous said...

Go to Ocean Park if you get a chance.. it's good fun :)