Thursday, October 18, 2007

[Kettering, UK] One week to go!

Time is ticking along!...

My room is piled high with unorganized mess and a slowly growing collection of stuff to take. Packing for all seasons is going to be a challenge... it is 28 degrees in Hong Kong at the moment but could fall as low as 1 degree in Shanghai towards the end of November.

I currently have no idea where I will be after I finish the TEFL course (Nov 30th). If I am in the North then it will be freezing (-15 degrees), if I'm in the South (Yunnan etc), it could be as warm as 24 degrees all winter! It's just one of the countless examples of how China is a country of huge contrasts! Basically I am supposed to be finding a school to teach in after the TEFL course. However, I think that because of the Winter Holiday which includes Chinese New Year and spans from January through to mid February I will be better off starting a teaching job after the break. I am more likely to get a 'proper' job rather than just a random teaching / foreigner-stuck-in-a-school-somewhere job.

China internationally:
For an insight in to the current turbulent politic climate in China see here.

The Americans have awarded the The Dalai Lama, (exiled Tibetan leader) the highest civilian honour Congress can give, stirring up outrage amongst the Chinese Communist Party. Tibet poses a massive challenge to me because of the reluctance the Chinese have of Westerners traveling there independently. No doubt things will get harder as time goes on as well!

No comments: